Dragon fruit is sweet fruit from “cactus plants” within the Selenecereus and Hylocereus . Dragon fruit are often called as pitaya, pitahaya or strawberry pear. The dragon fruit features a dramatic look, with bright red, purple or yellow-skinned varieties and distinguished scales.
The fruit is oval, elliptical or pear-shaped. Every fruit weighs between 150-600g and is often employed in fruit salads, smoothies and salads. It’s very little flavour and its texture closely resembles that of kiwi fruit. The flesh features a subtly tasteful sweet style or typically slightly tart style. The flesh is either white or red, with edible black seeds dotted everywhere.
Main 2 species big for business production embody caryophylloid dicot genus undatus, that has fruit with bright pink skin and white flesh and caryophylloid dicot genus. That has fruit with bright pink skin and ranging hues of pink flesh. Each has multiple varieties.
Table of Content:
- What is Dragon Fruit Tree?
- Other Names of Dragon Fruit Tree
- Dragon Fruit Tree History
- Dragon Fruit Tree Flower & Fruit
- Steps of Planting Dragon Fruit Tree (Pitaya)
- How does Dragon Fruit Tree Grow
- Dragon Fruit Tree Care
- The Different Types of Plant
- Interesting Facts
- Protect against Pests and Disease
- Interesting Facts…
- Questions Related to this Plant
What is Dragon Fruit Tree?
Dragon fruit is associate degree exotic cactus that’s found in Asia, Mexico, and components of South America.
Dragon fruit is planted as decorative plants; however they are doing blank delicious fruit that’s rather tasty.
This could be a white-fleshed fruit with little black seeds and vivacious pink skin.
Other names of Dragon fruit tree
Other name of this plant is pitaya pitahaya and strawberry pear.
Scientific name of this plant is “Hylocereus undatus“.
Dragon Fruit Tree History
In history, dragon fruit is native to Mexico, Central America, and South America and was introduced to Asia via Vietnam by the French within the early 1800s. Within the USA. Pitaya is primarily full-grown in Southern California, Florida, and Hawaii.
Dragon Fruit Tree Flower & Fruit
The flower of dragon fruit tree has beautiful white colour flower.
Dragon fruit may be a white-fleshed fruit with little black seeds and vivacious pink skin. Every fruit weighs between 150-600g .
Steps of Planting Dragon Fruit Tree (Pitaya)
When to plant?
Best time to plant pitaya(dragon fruit) in hot months of the summer. This tree will not grow the rest of the year.
Where to plant?
Dragon fruit tree is plant on ground of your garden. And it is easily grow in pot with ideal water, temperature.
Choose the right soil
This plant is ready to grow in any soil that’s well draining, however it prefers to grow in soil that’s slightly acidic with a hydrogen ion concentration level that’s between 6 and 7. Sandy soil is that the best choice for this plant. If it’s not accessible, simply make sure that it’s well debilitating soil.
How much daylight does this tree need?
Dragon fruit tree like warm atmosphere. It needs high sunny-spot.
They are semitropic plants which require a minimum of 6 hours of daylight per day. They’ll additionally grow well in a very heat and sunny spot inside.
Supports for this tree
For support little dragon fruit tree, Use supporting bamboo sticks therefore this tree won’t go over.
For big build dragon fruit tree cement, plastic and cedar trellis to attach to four plants on all sides.
A tomato cage is additionally work.
How much space does this tree need?
It is optimum to grow dragon fruits within the ground if the climate is favorable. Each varieties grow extraordinarily giant and wish space to unfold. Therefore house them a minimum of eight feet to fulfill their full mature potential.
How long will it consider a dragon fruit tree to supply fruit?
Plants will begin flowering in as very little as six to eight months, though container-grown plants could take up to 2 years connected fruit. the nice news is that when the plant is mature, you may see four to 6 mature cycles a year from a plant that’s capable of bearing fruit for twenty to thirty years.
Where does dragon plant grow most?
In world, dragon fruit grow in South America, however you may conjointly found it grownup in elements of land, Taiwan, Southern California and last Australia.
In India, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Orissa, West Bengal, Andhra Pradesh and Andaman & Nicobar Islands are often ideal for dragon fruit production.
How does Dragon Fruit Tree Grow
Growing dragon fruit tree plant in pot is nice plan for them UN agency board colder atmosphere. Therefore you’ll be able to move your plant in hotter place.
In instrumentation, use one that is 15″ to a 24″ in diameter and a minimum of 10″+ deep. Dragon fruit plant is from “cactus” family. Therefore select well-drained, sandy succulent soil. Choose a sunny location for your dragon fruit plant. a minimum of 6-8 hours of sun. With a knife, divide dragon fruit in half and scoop out the black seeds from the pulp. Wash the pulp off the seeds. Place these seeds on a wet towel and leave them nightlong.
By Seed Cutting
- Fill the germinating receptacle or tiny pot with well-draining however poor beginning combine.
- You’ll be able to create it yourself by combination one half vegetable matter and one half perlite.
- Sprinkle the seed on the soil surface and canopy that with a skinny layer of growing medium that hardly covers the seeds.
- Thoroughly moisten the soil employing a sprayer and canopy the pot with wrapping.
- Keep the soil wet till seeds germinate, which can take around fifteen to thirty days.
- After the seeds germinate, uncover the plastic and transplant them to larger pots once necessary.
By Stem Cutting
- Cut the phase of dragon fruit stem 6-10 inches from mother dragon angiospermous tree with knife.
- Put the cutting phase in air flow into space and out of direct sun-light for two days.
- Take a sand with compost, watercourse sand and garden soil in equal.
- Make 2-3 in. holes in center and place cutting stem into this holes.
- Put the pot fully sun and water it once higher layer be dry.
Dragon Fruit Tree Care
Here is a breakdown of the information that you will need to nurture and grow dragon fruit.
- Watering – Because of this plant could be a part of cactus plant. It’s necessary to create certain that you just are watering it properly. Only water the plant once the highest of the soil is dry to the bit. And don’t permit the plant to take a seat in water. The soil has to be damp not soaked.
- Fertilizing – Fertilizer is damaging to Dragon Fruit succulent and an excessive amount of will kill the plant therefore fertilize meagrely with low-nitrogen succulent chemical, slow time unleash is best. For in ground planting, broadcast a balanced granular chemical once a month. Dragon Fruit succulent are lightweight feeders, but sterile they’ll tend to grow terribly slowly and nearly stay dormant. For a rich, full look, feed them each different month however do not over fertilize. If a bit is nice, heaps isn’t perpetually higher.
- Pruning – Examine Dragon fruit plant each few months once the plants area unit actively growing. Seek for areas of full growth. Put on agriculture gloves, long-sleeved shirt and pants. Prune off succulent branches that area unit touching one another, growing over one another, or that are touching the bottom. Leave clear areas round the remaining branches therefore the massive night-blooming flowers have area to expand and then that fruit are simple to choose. Add plant ties as required. Put the cropped branches into a lawn cart. Take them to be nonmoving to form new plants, provide them away or discard them.
- Sunlight – The leaves of the plant ought to be exposed to full sun for best results. Ensure it’s still obtaining adequate daylight because it grows. This plant needs at-least 6-8 hour sun-light per day.
- Add Mulch – Dragon fruit plants, mulch makes an excellent dielectric, preventing high temperature changes within the soil. Place down a 2- to 3-inch layer of bark or wood chip mulch round the plant, keeping it eight to twelve inches off from the bottom. This can defend the roots just in case of frost.
- Harvesting – Dragon fruits become prepared for harvest home in 25-35 days once flowering. The maturity index of the fruit is color breaking stage from bright inexperienced color to red color. Actual time of harvest home is three to four days once color amendment.
The Different Types of Plant
This may be a species of caryophylloid dicot family and is that the most cultivated species within the genus. It’s used each as a decorative vascular plant and as a fruit crop – the pitahaya or dragon fruit. The native origin of the species has ne’er been resolved.
Hylocereus triangularis Species is a caryophylloid dicot genus may be a genus of flora cacti, usually mentioned as night-blooming succulent though the term is additionally used for several alternative cactus. Many species have giant edible fruits, that area unit called pitahayas or dragonfruits.
This is a the Central American countryn pitahaya or Costa Rica nightblooming succulent, may be a succulent species native to Central American country and Central American nation. The species is grownup commercially for its pitahaya fruit, however is additionally a formidable decorative vascular plant with Brobdingnagian flowers.
This is a Dragon Fruit is that the common red-fleshed selection. It’s famous for being an excellent fruit, having high antioxidants thanks to its crimson flesh. The plant is powerful branching and tolerates heat well. The stems area unit just about nineteen to sixteen inches across, clinging to tree trunks by several aerial roots.
As stems emerge they’re usually ruby-red once new, then flip waxy, blue-white and later to inexperienced. Also, the ribs of the stem area unit deeper to start with however because the stems mature they become thicker. Mature plants manufacture fifteen inches. Long blooms with white petals and red and yellow outer petals.
This are often found within the dry state regions of Jalisco and Nayarita. In these states, it’s generally found in low dry forests, in rock outcrops, and on giant rock formations in its environs. The plant may be a robust however terribly slow husbandman with fascinating gray inexperienced stems.
These stems area unit terribly long thick 3 sided segments with spines. One positive facet of the plant is its blooms. They’re terribly spectacular with bright colours and additional giant blooms up to fifteen inches in diameter. The range isn’t pollination thus it would like facilitate with hand impregnation. Once pollinated the fruit may be a sensible size with a mean weight of 1 pound. The fruit is egg formed with a novel look thereto.
Style of the fruit has very little to no style with a mildew afterimage giving it a poor rating. The rating is additionally poor in our growth rating thanks to its terribly slow growth, so taking it longer to achieve maturity. Once mature the plant flowers from middle to late summer.
Hylocereus megalanthus may be a succulent species within the genus hylocereus genus caryophylloid dicot genus caryophylloid dicot genus that’s native to northern South America, wherever it’s famous, beside its fruit, by the name of Pitahaya. The species is grownup commercially for its yellow fruit, however is additionally a formidable decorative ascension vascular plant with maybe the biggest flowers of all cactus.
Health Benefits of Dragon Fruit
Here are some of the benefits that you can experience when you have your own fruit bearing plant:
- High in Fiber – According to a study done by the researchers at the University of urban center, increasing consumption of fibre-rich foods will lower risk of each upset (CVD) and coronary heart condition (CHD). Dragon fruit may be a sensible supply of dietary fiber, so it’s not solely nice for the center, however conjointly helps in maintaining pressure level and weight.
- Decrease cholesterin – Dragon fruit is very low is terms of cholesterin, in addition as saturated and trans fats. Regular consumption of the fruit can’t solely be refreshing however conjointly assist you in maintaining a healthy heart within the long haul. Those of you World Health Organization are on a weight loss regime, it should be an honest plan to incorporate it in your diet. Moreover, the seeds gift within the fruit are loaded with omega three fatty acids that are essential for your well-being.
- Inhibitor made – Vibrant in color, that conjointly implies that dragon fruit is stuffed with phytonutrients which will offer you your abundant needed dose of antioxidants. Antioxidants facilitate in fighting free radicals that might harm your cells and even result in cancer. A diet made in antioxidants is claimed to stay your heart healthy and therefore the skin young.
- Heart Healthy – Because dragon fruits are loaded with fiber and antioxidants, they each contribute to keeping the center healthy and young. They fight against plaque preventative up within the arteries, maintaining the blood circulation within the body.
- Skin Care – The exotic fruit is often employed in natural remedies for beauty thanks to its high inhibitor content in addition as vitamins. Ancient beauty practices within the southeast Asian countries believe that creating a paste of dragon fruit flesh and applying it frequently on the face will facilitate in speed down the method of ageing, creating you look younger. The paste is additionally employed in treating skin condition and sunburn.
- High supply of potassium – Dragon fruit is loaded with essential minerals, significantly metallic element and metal that facilitate in maintaining bone structure. Regular consumption of metallic element is very very important for cellular, electrical, nervous functions of our body. In easier words, metallic element plays a key role in maintaining water content, pH or acid balance in our body. consistent with a study done by Shiga University of life science in Japan, if you’re a diabetic, having a diet made in metallic element could assist you defend your heart and urinary organ.
- Reduces Risk of diabetes – This fruit contains high amounts of fibre that maintains blood glucose levels and avoids spikes among individuals tormented by polygenic disorder. Regular consumption of this fruit will facilitate balance blood glucose levels and preventing additional medical consequences among diabetics.
- Reduces Risks of Cancer – This fruit contains anti-cancer properties which will cut back the risks of carcinoma. Its high supply of ascorbic acid plays a vital role in boosting the system. Ascorbic acid may be a powerful inhibitor that stops you from catching chronic diseases like polygenic disorder, Alzheimer’s, Parkinsons, cancer, etc.
Protect against Pests and Disease
While not insects, spider mites could have an effect on your dragon fruit. These arachnids area unit small relatives of spiders and, in contrast to their eight-legged cousins, prey on plants. You will want a light microscope to spot mites on your dragon fruit. Silk webbing on the plant, along side specked harm to the stems, typically indicate a mite drawback.
Four fringed wings and short antennae distinguish thrips from alternative insects however it’s tough to ascertain them on dragon fruit as they’re but 1/20 in. long. Their feeding behavior leaves a speckled pattern on the plant that’s principally associate degree aesthetic drawback. Thrips seldom kill a plant.
Scales, Mealybugs and Aphids
Sap-sucking pests will get out of management on a dragon fruit. Scale insects and mealybugs area unit small, flat, disk-shaped insects and therefore the females haven’t any legs or wings. They hide beneath a protecting waxy coating and feed by piercing plant flesh and intake out the sap. Aphids area unit pear-shaped, close to 1/8-inch-long insects, and they are typically apterous. These insects discharge a sweet liquid, known as winter melon, that attracts ants.
Ants and Beetles
If your dragon fruit has aphids, ants don’t seem to be so much behind. The sweet winter melon aphids turn out may be a favorite emmet food. Whereas they could not eat your plant directly, the ants shield aphids from predators. Additional aphids survive with the assistance of their bodyguard ants and any harm the dragon fruit. Some ants are interested in the sweet fruit and should harm it. Beetle larvae might also prey on the plant or the fruit.
- Dragon fruit is additionally referred to as strawberry pear or pity.
- Combination of dragon fruit with cucumber juice and honey, you’ll produce a compound like Associate in Nursing beer which will soothe burned skin.
- The flower buds square measure edible.
- Dragon fruit grows on a succulent that blooms for one night per fruit cycle.
- Pollination of the dragon fruit plant is completed by nocturnal creatures, like lepidopteran and loopy.
- Rumor has it that in one culture, it had been common to re-eat the seed once they suffer the body. Yuck!
- Dragon fruit tastes the simplest once eaten chilled.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Is Dragon fruit tree an annual or perennial?
- Can Dragon fruit tree grow in full sun?
- When is the best time to plant?
Hot days in summer
- Do pitaya spread?
- Can you grow pitaya in a pot?
Yes, you can