Chiku Fruit Plant (Sapota) is a member of “Sapotaceae family”. It is native to southern Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. This plants are evergreen and decorative. The chiku plant is medium to large fruit plant.
Chiku Fruit shape is round and the surface is rough. It is approximately 3 to 5 inches wide. When the fruits will be mature, it be brown. Pulp is sweet and melting. The fruit contains 3 to 8 inedible seeds at the center.
The bark of Chiku Fruit is brown in color. Leaves are long (12.5-20 cm) and pinnate. Leaf is smooth, glossy, and dark-green. Leaves are 3-4 inches long and almost 1-2 inches wide. It’s Flowers are small, bell shaped and cream colored.
||Manilkara zapota, Sapota, Sapodilla, naseberry
||4 – 5 hour
||White to cream
||Southern Mexico, the Caribbean and Central America.
|Season of fruit
||Glossy, clustered in green color
STEPS OF PLANTING CHIKU FRUIT PLANT (SAPOTA)
- June to December is the best time to plant.
- You can begin to plant chiku plant from seeds or cutting.
- Always select sandy, loamy and good drainage soil.
- The soil pH should be between 6.0 – 8.0 for ideal growth.
- Water once topsoil (1-2 inches) feels dry to the touch.
- Use organic fertilizers for healthy growth and development..
- Poke your finger into the soil to check the wetness.
CHIKU FRUIT PLANT (SAPOTA) CARE
- Make sure soil should be well drained, loamy and fertile rich in oragnic content.
- Put the container in an area with bright light and direct sun.
- Chiku plant need 5 hour direct sun light.
- This plant can grow best in temperature between 12 to 36 degrees C.
- Water every two to three time weeks to stay the soil from drying out fully.
- Feed with organic fertilizer during june and January month.
- When a chiku plant outgrows in current pot, Re-pot with fresh potting soil and some fertilizer.
- Remove dead or damaged part of chiku plant.
- You should be able to harvest the chiku fruit after 5 to 8 years.
- Do not provide them over water.
- Do not provide them over chemical.
- Don’t harvest randomly however rather select the mature and totally ripe fruits.
- This is a slow-growing semi-deciduous tree or large bush.
- Chiku plant is a perfect plant for outdoor.
- This fruit plant can reach a height of up to 30 m.
- The chiku fruit will come after 5 to 8 years from planting it.
- Chiku fruit tree’s life expectancy is around 100 years.
- Fruit is round in shades of yellow to brown color.
- The fruit contains 3 to 8 inedible seeds at the center.
- Leaves are 3-4 inches long and almost 1-2 inches wide.
- Chiku is rich source of fibers.
USES OF CHIKU FRUIT PLANT (SAPOTA)
- Chiku friut is an excellent source of nutrition.
- Fruit juice Promotes Healthy Skin. It reduce wrinkles and makes your skin plumper.
- Chiku fruit uses to Boosts Energy.
- It is also good for pregenant women.
- Gives you strong Bones and reduces muscle cramps..
- It has amazing moisturising properties.
- Chiku helps in boosting the body’s metabolism.
- It keeps your digestive system strong.
- Chiku friut is rich in calcium, phosphorus, and iron thats keep your bones healthy.
- Chiku plant is also used for ornamental purpose
- You should close the chiku plant in a tent throughout the winter season if it is possible.
- Increase the water level during summer and reduce water in fall or winter.